Monday 9 May 2016

"Non me somiglia pe' niente!"

Everyone watches movies, but how many of you have you heard of Johnny Stecchino or Johnny Toothpick?

I've watched Johnny Stecchino three weeks ago after looking for a mafia movie in Italian and I came across this one. A funny movie as you can assume, but an Italian comedy around the mafia and a farce. I've never laughed this much in a long time while watching a comedy! It grew under my skin, I cannot stop watching it, falling asleep on it, cannot get enough of it... 

The story takes place in Palermo where a mafia boss wants to kill a rat that came from New York. A kindhearted but a cute idiot who likes to steal bananas will be passed off for the snitch of New York hiding away from the mafia. 

Roberto Benigni plays the role of the snitch as well as the  kindhearted idiot. I must say he plays both roles well enough for us to believe he has a twin brother. Two personalities and two different jobs.  One in the mafia, the other a school bus driver who has a friend a disabled person.

My favorite scenes... I cannot reveal them, not unless you watch the movie. I will give away the best part of the movie...

What I find clever about this movie is that they have two plots, one who is based on drugs and mafia, while the other thinks everything surrounding him and stealing bananas, which then later on really believe that it's a horrible crime in Palermo. You could believe both stories because they are so well represented. The movie might be a little old as it from 1991 (Italy), it is a must watch movie! You cannot just let this movie pass you by. I only watch it in Italian but I'm sure subtitles in English exist or an English version if you don't understand Italian at all.

As one of my favorite actor, right after Robert DeNiro, I can only be impressed by how captivating his performance is in this movie, just like in everyone he is in.

Don't be fooled by the humor, every country as its own, so don't expect to laugh at it if you don't understand what's funny. Or you might end up like me, loving the movie and keeping a few quotes in your head. I can thank this movie, now I say "Santa Cleopatra" instead of "OMG"...


"My duty is to try to reach beauty. Cinema is emotion. When you laugh you cry." - Roberto Benigni

~Bella




No comments:

Post a Comment