Thursday 26 May 2016

At least you'll never be a vegetable- even artichokes have hearts....

Let me start off by saying that I love movies, but I've always had something special with Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain or commonly known as Amelie. A French romantic comedy that came out in 2001, more than 10 years ago about a young, innocent Parisian, Amelie (Audrey Tautou), who decides to help those around her while imagining a love story with the man she saw at the train station, Nino...

The first time I watched the movie it was in 2006 when my parents were getting a divorce. I was on the couch next to my mother in front of the TV, slowly falling in love with the movie! Since then I watch it at least three to four times a year, and I cry around the same scenes.



It's not just a movie to me, it's my story, obviously not the entire film but parts of it. Her personality reflects mine, innocent, sweet, caring, big dreamer who loves to help others but doesn't help herself. A guardian angel to some, and a matchmaker to others. 
I've made a short list of what she does in the movie, and what I do in my life.... 

- Young Amelie would eat her raspberries directly from each of her fingers. I've always done it, and I will continue because despite looking like a child playing around with food, it's amusing. 
- When Amelie goes to the movies, she looks behind her to see the reactions of other people. I tend to always be on the last row so I look at the people on the sides. It's funny to see all these different faces. 
- She manages to help those who surrounds her while I'm always present if you ever need something.
- Amelie has always lived in her own little world, asking herself questions about the world... I think I suffer from the same disease!


I'll stop here...
If you haven't seen the movie, it's a must watch! It's in French but some versions have English subtitles if you don't understand any French. The movie is well translated, so I really think you may learn something from this movie. I know I learned a lot especially about myself! It's not every day you can relate to a movie character! And I'm happy to say that people had confused me with the actress, Audrey Tautou while I was at the airport! :) It's still making me smile when I talk about it.



Amelie is a reflection of what an isolated young girl go through when she grows up. The idea behind the movie was to make people realize that changes are not always bad and that it is totally fine to ask questions! Being young and curious is considered normal while when grown-ups ask questions is it quite embarrassing... Amelie, on the other hand, doesn't fear the judgments of others and still ask questions just like a kid would do. The movie proves us that we can all help someone with a small gesture like crossing a blind man across the street!

" Luck is like the Tour de France. You wait, and it flashes past you. You have to catch it while you can."- Raymond Dufayel aka Glass Man. 

~Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment