Saturday 11 June 2016

Oh you sound different...

An accent is the prominence of a syllable in terms of differential loudness, or of the pitch, or length, or of a combination of these. It's a way of pronunciation particular to a speaker or group of speakers. There are different accents... The phonetics, linguistics, poetry, diacritic, fallacy, in music, computers... But today I'm only talking about the way we, speakers,  pronounce words, phrases.



As I've told already, I'm from Europe so I'm getting used to the whole accent idea.

Many countries have their own different accents and languages.
I currently live in California, USA, and I can tell you already that they have an accent. I may be in the USA, but every state has their own accents. They speak differently, not a huge difference, but it is there.
I have couple friends who come from different countries, and every one of them, have a specific accent that I pick up on easily.

It's been two years now that I figured out the odd way I speak. I'm not British, far from it, and yet I sometimes have the accent. According to a few people, I sound like Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. Don't assume I'm trying to sound like her because I don't. The movies were only watched in French so I wouldn't even know how she sounds like. I'm pretty sure it's because I watch a lot of British YouTubers. They have their expressions, the pronunciation is way different from the Californians. I picked up on a New Zealand accent, thanks to the YouTuber, bennymcnugget. He makes me laugh, and his accent is beyond hilarious for me. The way he says "bed", I mean, I find it cute and now I say it just like him.


I've learned that accents define who you are and where you come from. People can figure out what country you are from and if you are into the sophisticated world or not.

Funny little story, I was at a coffee shop last week, writing, minding my own business when behind me, two women were talking, loudly enough that I can recall all of their conversation, which was pretty boring. A young man came and asked if he could take the empty chair for his friend. He had a strong accent, sounded very Persian or Iranian. I couldn't tell well, but one of the women asked politely about his accent, and he froze. He didn't respond so his friend came to the rescue and told the woman where is was from. She looked sweet yet she didn't let him take the chair because she knew where he was from. I was baffled by the injustice that I took the chair that was in front of me and gave it to the poor guy who kindly thanked me.
The funny thing is the fact that people act a certain way when they hear a different accent and won't be as sweet as they look.
I'm not a fan of those accents, and I wouldn't try to even talk to them, but I'm not going to change my attitude because they sound different and come from a certain country. Discrimination at its finest!


When I look back this little injustice, it makes me want to stop talking because I'll be afraid someone is going to put me down because of my accent. So I try to hide it as much as I can, but honestly, I shouldn't! No one should hide the way they talk, you have an accent... LOVE IT, APPRECIATE IT, it makes you be sexy and different! Normal is boring, remember that. Being different is AWESOME! Don't hide who you are, embrace the fact that you don't sound like others. You are SPECIAL!
DO NOT TAKE OTHER'S PEOPLE COMMENT SERIOUSLY, IGNORE THEM! BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE!

" I don't know what it is about accents that make me want to get undressed and high-five myself" - Chelsea Handler.

~Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment