Friday 3 June 2016

I know it's an awful secret organization but I can't help it...

We all know what the mafia is, the organized crime that considers themselves families of a sort... A secret organization that spread quickly!

I've been writing a novel for two years now, one year of research and the other of just writing. It's about family secrets in Sicily around the mafia... In order to get into the characters, I had to research all I could about the Sicilian mafia, and even though I really love to learn about it, it wasn't always easy to watch or read.
The mafia started back in Sicily, it started just for a protection against rich people that would take over the less wealthy people's land. Obviously, as time goes by, they realize the power they could get and the money would rush in faster than most jobs... I'm not going to get into details, and I'm not going to try to make up excuses for their actions, but I can say that I developed a form of admiration on their part. I can't say it's a good organization, I'm quite against some of their activities, but I just see beyond the violence that surrounds them.

After many mafia movies including the Godfather part I, II, and III, Johnny Stecchino ( a comedy), and I Cento Passi ( about communist and mafia)... After reading so much about the mafia, all I learned throughout my research made me realize that the mafia is more than what we hear on the news. Yes, they do horrible things, they kill and torture, but the history behind it makes me want to continue to see the positive side of everything.


I've recently become a fan of an Italian Tv Show called " Gomorrah". It's about the brutal Neapolitan organized crime family, the Camorra,  in Naples, Italy. I watch it with English subtitles because even though I might understand a lot of Italian, they have their own Neapolitan language. I've learned a lot about the corruption of the police, the politicians, and how people want to get higher ranks. 

I'm more into the Sicilian Mafia or Cosa Nostra (Our thing), it's the beginning and they act differently from the American mafia. 
As you may have heard on TV, the bosses in America weren't scared to be seen by everyone, they wanted to be FAMOUS, while back in Sicily... They would be hidden away from everyone, and they would act in the shadows. Power and wealth but not the famous side! That might actually be one of the reasons why I prefer the Sicilians more than the Americans. To be a man made in Sicily wasn't seen as a criminal but a protector, while in America just forget about being a protector, you are just a criminal. One thing for sure is that they aren't like the 'Sopranos', they are animals that aren't afraid to be cruel when needed, and in many various ways. Sicilians are more organized for sure! 

So on a little note, and to finish up because I could write an entire book about the mafia, I admire how they work and how to get down with so much crime without always getting caught! It's impressive that the Godfather of Sicily just recently got caught when he was running "free" for so long! 


"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid." - John Gotti

~ Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment