Saturday 6 August 2016

What Would Jane Do? (2)

Here comes the time to write about chapter II of the little book "What would Jane do?" 

I've been eager to write about it for a while now, and this time, the chapter is more for ladies than men! Don't be judgmental, Jane Austen is a woman so obviously she writes more for ladies... But it doesn't mean you can't read what I'm about to write! Please keep reading...


II. Good Impressions for Great Ladies

Every neighborhood should have a great lady. - Sanditon (1817)
One can never have too large a party. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
You are never sure of a good impression being durable. - Persuasion (1817)
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way- Emma (1815)
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
We do not look in great cities for our best morality. - Mansfield Park (1814)
My idea of good company... Is the company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company. - Persuasion (1817)
Those who do not complain are never pitied. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
There are some people who cannot bear a party of pleasure. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
One-half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Emma (1815)
I should buy a little land and build one myself, within a short distance of London... I advise everybody who is going to build, to build a cottage. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
Every man is surrounded by neighborhood of voluntary spies.- Northanger Abbey (1817)
It was a delightful visit; -perfect, in being much too short. - Emma (1815)
It is particularly incumbent on those who never change their opinion, to be secure of judging properly at first. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
Nothing amuses me more than the easy manner with which everybody settles the abundance of those who have a great deal less than themselves. - Mansfield Park (1814) 
Sometimes one if guided by what they say of themselves, and very frequently by what other people say of them, without giving oneself time to deliberate and judge. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
From politics, it was an easy step to silence. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
I have frequently thought that I must have been intended by nature to be fond of low company, I am so little at my ease among strangers of gentility!- Sense and Sensibility(1811)
I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, Impatient to restore everybody, not greatly in fault themselves, to tolerable comfort. - Mansfield park (1814)
But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
We are sent into this world to be as extensively useful as possible, and where some degree of strength of mind is given, it is not a feeble body which will excuse us- or incline us to excuse ourselves. - Sanditon (1817)

Hope you understood every single meaning as it could be challenging at times. Old English and their old saying... We won't be able to change that! 

The more I read what she wrote, the more I love how she express herself. Hopefully, I won't pick up on anything, I can deal with the British accent but not the writing! 

Next chapter will also be more for ladies... Mistresses... Keep checking for the next interesting chapter! 


" The more I know the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love." 

~Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment