Friday 29 July 2016

What Would Jane Do?

Quips and Wisdom from Jane Austen

I've got this little book from my mum on my 20th birthday... It's little and full of wisdom! 


I've been reading it every day, one page at a time and I wanted to share with you what's have been reading because I believe everyone should take notes. Everyone meaning guys as well as women! 

Here is the first "chapter"... 

I. How to be happier than you deserve

Next week shall begin my operations on my hat, on which you know my principal hopes of happiness depend. - Letters
Nobody minds having what is too good for them. - Mansfield Park (1814)
I wish , as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
It is well to have as many holds upon happiness as possible. -Emma (1815)
I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation! - Letters
We are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere. - Mansfield park (1814)
Perfect happiness, even in memory, is not common. - Emma (1815)
How quick come the reasons for approving what we like. - Persuasion (1817)
Your countenance perfectly informs me that you were in company last night with the person who interest you at this present time, more than all the rest of the world put together. - Persuasion (1817)
In seasons of cheerfulness, no temper could be more cheerful than hers, or possess, in a greater degree, that sanguine expectation of happiness which is happiness itself. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
Nothing ever fatigues me, but doing what I do not like. - Mansfield park (1814)
Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience-- Or give it a more  fascinating name, call it hope. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve. - Letters
Where the waters do agree, it is quite wonderful the relief they give. - Emma (1815)

Next chapter will be coming soon... Keep your eyes open for more chapters and more wisdom!


"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." - 

~Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment