Monday 24 October 2016

Run for your life...

I don't know about you, but I've been having a year of wanting to watch scary movies! 

Scary movies... 


The idea of being chased by a murdered, the chills running through your body, the unbearable thought that someone is watching your every move from the kitchen window, the sleepless night spent wondering if you have a ghost in the room with you, the horrible feeling you get that something will give you a jump scare... 
These movies have been around for a long time, and each time you may see similarities between them all. The tension, creating the mystery, suspense, gore, terror, or shock, make up the basic of a horror film. When you watch a film, you see how the director uses fear and unrealistic graphic to make us jump off our seats! Somehow the background music that starts playing when the woman is running away from her killer is just another way to get the viewer attracted, less distracted by its surrounding, wanting to make them feel the jump scare coming. 

There are 4 categories of horror watching:

 - Gore watching, characterized by low empathy, high sensation seeking, and in males a strong identification with the killer. 
- Thrill watching, high empathy and high sensation seeking- motivated by the suspense of the film and more identification with the victims. 
- Independent watching, high empathy for the victim with a high positive effect of overcoming fear.
- Problem watching, high empathy for the victim but characterized by negative effect- a sense of helplessness. 

I'm more a mix between the independent watching and problem watching! I usually know how to get the problem fix, how the victim will either escape or die... But I'm also one who will be so terrorized by the fear that is overcoming me that I will just throw "They are going to die, there's no way out!" 

My very first scary movie that I watched with my cousin was Amityville (2005) with Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George. Great movie, great background story, and the suspense is here. For a first, and at a young age, it was purely horrifying! Had nightmares for years! The movie is based on a real-life tragedy that hit a family back in the 70's. The oldest child (adult) executed his 4 siblings and parents after saying he was hearing voices telling him to kill. Later on, another family come and stay in the same house. Things were getting strangers, the father was hearing voices as well, and well they had to leave. Now it's a haunted place with souls are angry! To be fair, I had to learn the truth behind the movie and book because I was too afraid it would happen in my family. Young me was so determined to find what was going on with the house, with the guy, with everything that I spent an entire year searching, learning, and watching documentaries about the families and house itself. It's a chilling story, and I have to admit it's my favorite scary movie maybe cause it's my first one. 

Couple days after watching Amityville I get to watch another one, The Ring with Naomi Watts and Martin Henderson. Another one which gave me nightmares for days. I related to the girl in the movie, long black hair... I have to admit the movie was kind of creepy in every way. It's about a journalist who investigates an odd videotape who is related to the murders of people who watches it. They usually die after a week...
Another videotape type of scary movie! The fear was intense, insane amount of jump scare, and the idea that the girl was behind me, watching my every move made it even scarier! I would look behind my shoulders to see if I didn't wake the dead or something. I highly discourage 10-11 years old kids to watch any scary movies unless you want nightmares for the next couple years!
I had a couple years between the next other scary movies, two was enough to haunt me at night for a long time. The ones I recently watched and absolutely loved were Krampus (folk story) made me jump off the bed many many times, the Scream series (1-4) can't get enough of them even though they aren't as scary, and finally Evil Dead. That last one gave me chills, I don't even think I ended up sleeping that night! I almost threw up four times, passed out because the amount of blood in the movie is insanely a lot and the story at the end... Come on! I was freaking out, but I did like to watch it, once is enough, though, don't try and watch it with me again! I'm done! 

I've seen plenty more and trying to watch others, it's starting to become an addiction! 

Have you had that scary movie passage? What are the ones you love to watch? I'm interested in knowing what are some good ones you have seen!

"Watching a horror movie and thinking, 'No! Don't kill him, he's cute!' " 




~Bella


No comments:

Post a Comment