Thursday 20 October 2016

Familiar faces...

Watching him across the street, sitting down in the same chair, same hat, with a book in his hand… Drinking his coffee bean drink makes me smile.
Each time I work, I wait until I get to see him from the shop. He is quite intrigued with his British accent and his little comfort food in his pocket. Can’t get enough!
A great reason to smile, that’s for sure! 

The way he looks at me and salutes me like a gentleman, waving his hat at me… While from the shop I smile back at him, wave and keep smiling big! Always alone with a book, a little notebook and his coffee bean drink. A pencil in his right hand, he observes people pass by, read a few lines from his book before looking back up at the people who keep passing by him! It’s becoming normal, almost a necessary for the shop, well for me at least! Having him around a familiar face, a familiar touch! A way to know has someone familiar around when you are working alone in the shop. Hilarious enough, missing a day without my British friend is just plain depressing! He might not do much, but his presence is around, making me want to get to know him more, know what’s his life, what’s his hobbies, his little addictions… What happened to him being in California with a British accent? He can only be British! 
Being interested in him just makes my working days ten times better! I imagine what his life might be like, imagine what he does outside of his little reading and note time. Between that morning coffee bean to his evening one? What does he do? Does he have a family, a wife, children?
I would assume he doesn’t have any wife, he doesn’t have a ring, but that again, might just be wrong, he might have been married… If he went to school around here? Who knows…
I let my imagination run free, wild, flow around while I believe whatever comes to mind because each time something new come up! No clue if I’m right or wrong, but my vivid thoughts keep running free. 
This man must be in his late 60’s, British (his accent gives that one away), not too much of a sweet tooth, love to read and take notes, got many buddies that one day will bring to the shop, but no wife around. He must really enjoy coffee bean because it’s the only thing I see him drink! His glasses on top of his nose makes him look even smarter than before… 
This man sends good vibes if I don’t see him at least once a day (whenever I’m working), my day isn’t accomplished. He gives me something, something familiar. His European side makes me think about Europe a lot more, maybe it’s just a feeling of being “home”, or it could just be a simple familiar face because he reminds me of my grandpa in some ways. 
There are people like that, that give some good vibes. Some are just a reminder of someone else, important or not. Some are just a familiar face who’s around to make you feel better because whenever they aren’t around, you feel lost! 

Across the street, there is Pickles and Swiss…. Best sandwiches ever! Can’t get enough of them! Don’t ask me why I prefer, each timeI try to get something new, and each time, I fall in love with the sandwich! At the end, I will end up loving everything on the menu cause I won’t be able to choose what I prefer. Since I’ve been working, Pickles and Swiss have been crowded with people, I even had to take my mum in at least once… That’s how addicted I am to the place, but it’s not only for the sandwiches or the soup that by the way are delicious! It’s about the people as well. When I say that British gentleman, old as he might be, he is a familiar face, my work day goes better when I see him… 


Well at Pickles and Swiss, there is also a person that intrigue my curiosity quite a bit! I go there often for the food obviously, but also to see that person. Each time, something makes me nervous, makes me want to know more about the guy. I don’t even know how to explain the feeling, but something pulls me to that person like a wanting to know more feeling! He is just a little too sweet and since I was starting to get over the fact that every guy I know is the same, this one came along once, helped me out with a sandwich choice and at that moment something hit me! Something big because I cannot stay away from that place whatsoever. All my tips are going to that place, and do not ask me why, it’s pulling me, making me want to come back each time. 
Whenever I don’t get to see his face, I’m lost as well. It is odd, but whenever I work, I have these faces that I need to see to get my work day be better! But this guy from Pickles and Swiss just intrigues me a lot more than anyone, something about him is interesting, different, and he honestly seems like the type of guy that get his heart broken many times cause he looks so sweet… Then again, appearances can be tricky! For all, I know he could be an ex-con who sold drugs and now on probation. Highly unlikely but we never know someone, and since I never really talked to him, I don’t know for sure! First steps are so difficult!

"You are a mystery to me, yet so familiar. Like a song I've never heard before, and a tune I've known my entire life." - Pavana

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment