Thursday 10 August 2017

Bar to Bar...

As you know I recently turned 21 years old. Even though I've been drinking for a long time now, Americans made it a bigger deal than me, getting even more excited about it than me. I ended up confused as who's birthday it was, theirs or mine?
If someone turns 21 that means more money in your pocket, we get it, but when you are European like me, being 21 means nothing much. It's just another age, getting older. But no, I was in California when I turned 21, the drinking age. Even after two weeks in, people kept wishing my birthday. 
Little story, I was grocery shopping with my roommate. A little shop where I had found my bottle of alcohol, Vermouth. Nothing special, right? Well, at the cashier's, the woman asked for my ID, politely enough, smiled, looked at it closely, and told me "Happy Birthday". I thanked her, telling her it wasn't a big deal. Her face turned white as snow, I didn't say anything much just a simple thanks, yet it was the end of the world. 

America, I understand you are a new world, your laws are a little messed up especially when it comes to drinking, but do you have to act like complete fools when someone turns 21 years old? Do you have to pound alcohol in your system to get drunk fast enough to work your magic?

Let's get back to our topic, bars. 
When you hear bars, you automatically think drinks, getting hit on... While I'm just thinking soccer or pleasant time. Can't deny my culture and where I'm from as it shows it my drinking. 
Americans, in general, have perfected the art of pounding several drinks in a matter of just an hour or so. Europeans maintain a buzz the entire evening, many don't even get drunk. 

Another difference which keeps shocking me is the way people approach you. It seems like in Europe you won't be approached the same way. First, if they aren't part of the group or your circle or know someone from your circle, they don't usually go talk to you. Strangers stay at their place, generally. Introduction first then they talk. It's not being rude, it's just that we are distrustful. 

When I think of bars I think about the good time spent in good company, friends for instance. Here, all I've been seeing is strangers talking, girls (I won't describe them as women) expecting free drinks, and obviously both waiting to catch someone easy to bring home. Not surprising since the average duration of a relationship in Europe is counted by years and not months like most Americans. 

Now, Europe is a big continent with many different countries, languages and cultures/traditions. I ain't complaining about America, I ain't saying you don't know what bars are for, but you have to realize that coming from Europe, I can't find the whole bar experience great. 
I don't know how many times I've been looked at for being a young woman who drinks beer after work! Too many to keep track of! Not only you are looked for drinking beer and not tequila or vodka like most girls around here, but you are looked because you are alone and you make it clear that you don't want to be bugged. Why would it be alright for guys to hangout at bars, watch sports and enjoy a drink but not women? How is that fair? You tell me! 

My American bar experience is limited though, I'm in a town where people are too fake to look at what's real, so I can't just criticize every bar in the U.S.  
Sadly, I'm still in shock by my experience around here, California. How the girls dress without many clothes on to just complain about how guys grabbed their bottoms or tried to get with them later on. If you don't want a guy to look at you like an easy girl dress a bit more casual or classic instead of trashy! Trashy girls means easy girls! To me, it sounds more like a complete joke more than anything else. 
Santa Barbara may not be the best example when it comes to bars or much stuff in general! And it does not generalize the entire U.S., but a country has its culture and people are usually the same, almost. 

Despite the things I still don't fully understand, I made friends with the bartender, the security guys, and a few who works in the kitchen and bar. Just because they work in a bar doesn't make them fools or perverts which I adore! And I've got my little reputation, " the mum" reputation which I gladly take. I prefer to be responsible anyways so... Instead of throwing myself to guys, and act idiotic, I'm responsible enough to throw the truth at random strangers who will approach me like fools. I mean after my last encounter ( a guy came towards me and my roommate at the time, and the first thing he said was that he was a stoner, great way to make a girl fall for you...), sticking to good old tricks is highly recommended. 
Then again, I'm a bit cold and chase off guys but I'm still emotional and sensitive. I thought I wasn't attractive enough. But then my friend made a point, " Guys who go to bars don't want cute, sweet, smart opinionated girls like you. They want the loose (not sexually) bubbly party girls who look easy even if they aren't... No guy is calling a girl beautiful at the bar for anything other than sex..." 
And then he came up with the fact that my type of guys is hiding in coffee shops and libraries. Sorry to disappoint my friend but I live in these places, and yet, I haven't met Prince Charming! 

"Life is just a cocktail party on the street." -Mick Jagger. 

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment