Tuesday 15 August 2017

Let's take a mini trip...

While everyone is talking about the white supremacist protest in Virginia, I prefer to talk about my own little thoughts... I understand how dramatic the situation is, how much racism is around and how disappointing it is for America as well as the entire world, but when you elect a president such as Trump, don't expect too much good happening. I ain't surprised, but it saddens me to see how many idiots are pretending to fight for making America great again... I guess people don't learn from past experiences, from history! 

Anyways... 

Don't think you'll read about one of my past trips even though some are quite interesting! Maybe you'll read about them later on so do not be disappointed...

What I meant by the title of today's blog post is "Let's take a mini trip into my thoughts", one thought specifically.

More tattoos ideas but one that I'm determined to get before the year end, hopefully before October. Last time I checked, I wasn't as patient as many of you may be.


To begin this mini journey, you have to know a couple of things. 

My family has lots of origins and Scandinavian origin is part of that. In other terms, I've got some Viking blood running through my veins... So after I realized this little quick fact about me and my family, I started getting interested in the Norse mythology, since then I can't stop wondering lots about them. Thanks to documentaries, shows, and more reading, I'm starting to understand what they are coming from. After doing my own research I came across runes.


If you don't know what runes are well they are letters in a set of related alphabets known as a runic alphabet. It was first known among Germanic tribes around the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. They were traditionally carved onto stone, wood, bone, metal or some similarly hard surface.

To me, they look like symbols, amazing ones. Obviously, Vikings have their own symbols.


Next thing you have to know about me is that everything about mythology or Celtic legends interest me, I'm a fan! You could talk about Greek, Roman or Norse mythology and I would still be here listening to your converse. I would still be interested in the subject because I'm amazed by how fascinating the whole mythology came into life. Cause when you think about it, they are just legends, stories told generation after generation. They became part of history, part of the culture, of a past, present, and future.


The final thing you have to know is that I'm very open to new languages or any form of writing. I don't mind learning new forms of conversations and it usually makes me want to learn, even more, get that brain of mine working.


Alright, the mini trip started when I was looking for other tattoo ideas. As you may already know,  I have a few tattoos and planning on getting a few more.

Before I decided what I really wanted to get on my back shoulder, I was looking around the symbols...
Thor's Hammer: a symbol of protection, strength, consecration, and the integrity of custom and tradition. 
The Yggdrasil: is the symbol of the tree of life where the Gods and Goddesses lives. The tree that holds together the Nine Worlds or realms of existence. 


The Valknut: a symbol associated with death, the transition from life to death, and Odin. 


The Svefnthorn: a symbol that could put someone into a long, deep sleep. 


The Vegvisir: a symbol from an early modern Icelandic magical manuscript (and therefore not necessarily a truly "Norse" symbol), which was supposed to help with finding one's way when lost. 


The Helm of Awe: a symbol of protection and might, but in a darker and more individualistic sense than Thor's Hammer. 


Huginn and Muninn- The Twin Ravens: another symbol associated with Odin as they are his servant. They would be the ones who would report back to Odin each evening of the happenings of the world. 





Know that you know a few of their symbols, you cannot stay in the dark with my great tattoo idea, The Helm of Awe. 

I got to decide this one because no matter where I go in life, I feel like I need my own protection from the outside world as well as my own. If it wasn't this one, I would go for the Yggdrasil. The tree of life. It's also another symbol close to the Celtic symbol. And even though I'm also Celtic, I wanted something which would be more about me and more Norse than anything. 

The Helm of Awe happens to be one of the most popular Norse symbols out there, people have been intrigued by it for centuries, getting the tattoo on themselves. I don't personally want to be like everyone else, but this tattoo has a meaning to me, something familiar and if I can get it, then I won't hesitate! It's a familiar one, a symbol which talks to me... 


Next trip... The tattoo artist... Hopefully soon! 


"I wish we were born with a tattoo identical to our soul mate, so we don't waste time on people that don't care about us." 


~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment