Monday 30 January 2017

That crossing line...

When people come in the store, I say "Hello" out of courtesy. Expecting a "hello" back, but most of the time I have to wait until the father, husband or another male person to come in and say "Hello" back. For some odd reason, women got a hard time being polite.
On a Saturday morning, early, a father and little girl came in the shop. Discussing the raspberry macaron, but no "Hello" back, no observation, no nothing.  What a great way to come in a shop! The mother came in five minutes after with a large smile on her face and a very sweet "Hello". I responded and followed her to what macaron she wanted. Getting 8 macarons, I was almost sure they would leave without any tip, seeing how the father was reacting.  When they left I look down at the receipt, by a miracle, a tip was on. The mother had given me her credit card and paid herself. No surprise there, but something was definitely wrong in their relationship.
It's my first time a mother actually give me a tip and says "Hello" instead of the husband. It's either both, who are very polite or just the male model.
Made me happy to see that the mother was in a happy mood and generous to top it all off. I don't know how it is for you if you work around people, do they say "Hello" out of courtesy or not?
I don't understand why so many people aren't polite, it doesn't kill anyone to say "Hello", "Please", or "Thank you". It makes our day so much better, us as employees behind the counter. Everyone has bad days, where we don't want to talk to anyone, but it's still pleasant to hear a little "Hello".
I don't always say it, but I try my best to almost always stay polite by smiling.

The funniest part of all the customers I met are the kids with their parents. Some will look over to the chocolates, ask me if they are eatable, and I'll look at them with a weird look. It happened to me, last time, a young around 15 years of age girl, came in with her father and older sister. She asked about the chocolates, and I couldn't help keep the sarcasm away.
"It's just for decoration," I replied with a stupid smile.
Her father stared her down, laughing, telling her, "Did you hear what you just asked? You couldn't ask a stupider question than this."
He looked back at me and apologized for his daughter's idiotic question that made all of us laugh.
I managed to get a tip, but bloody hell, these stupid questions will get very exhausting to hear.

The next family that came later in the week, was both parents and a daughter, around 17 years of age. I could tell she was getting everything she desired. Her mother politely asked for a box of 6, which I made after waiting 10 minutes or a bit more with the daughter's choice of macarons. Indeed, there are quite a lot of choices, but when you see that behind you there are more customers, you try to go a little faster! No smile, nothing came out of that girl's facial expressions. The plain expression she gave me like it was normal that her parents were spending money on her. I felt horrible serving the young lady that it was written all over my face. Her father felt horrible as were behavior. I thanked him, but I told myself that they would have to pay for their daughter's things until they cannot anymore. I didn't even hear any "Thank you" when I gave them the box, only from the parents who looked quite embarrassed.
I can't to this day believe parents have no respect from their children. I would understand not thanking me, but her parents paid a box of macarons to please her. The "Thank you" should be automatic, but no! So the parents apologize but don't do anything with their children. They will have it worse later on, and we can't say anything to them, just watch the situation play its course. When I have these people come in with ungrateful children, I just feel terrible for the parents.
Luckily, they are exceptions... Some kids are so polite and determined to stick with one or two macarons that I get these samples out for them to try. It's quite adorable to see a little kid come in the store, walk up to you and ask you, "Can I, please get a green cookie?" How can you not melt away?
I'm actually surprised to see and hear a little kid being polite instead of their parents. Yes, this situation, this amazing case does happen. Sometimes, the kids are more polite than the parents, sad, but true!
Then, you've got the very sweet guy that come in, alone, each time, to get one macaron,  smile big, pays and leaves, but to always come back to get another one. Honestly, that guy must be in love with macarons. Sadly, he is around just to visit his parents...Won't see this one very often.

It's just hilarious to see so many different faces come and go. You've got all types of people... The elderly who happen to always have a hard time hearing. Sorry, my voice isn't as loud as others, it's more quiet, softer to be fairly honest.
Then, I've got the impossible teenagers who think they are better than everyone else. These ones are just painful to work with! Can't get enough of their unpleasant behaviors. They come in, keep talking about their exes or gossip around. What a perk!

Now, we have amazing customers, who are always in a positive mood, great vibes, always smiling, polite and always for the most time give tips! It's pleasant to be able to communicate and rely on these valuable customers! 
I remember when a woman, one morning, came in with a little shy smile. She had lost her voice maybe after been sick, she asked in a very low voice if she could get a box of 6. A couple and their daughter came in seconds after. They heard how difficult it was for the woman to talk, so respectfully talked quietly enough so I could hear what the woman was saying. It was pleasant to see how respectful they were to the poor woman who made me sad. I ended up giving her an advice on trying to get her voice back. Usually, hot milk with honey helps! 
Not being the best social person out there, I can tell you that being communicative isn't always easy! The struggle of listening to people who come in, reply when needed, it takes a lot! But this job is helping me realize that they are amazing people out there, and sadly, some people who are less amazing! 

"Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing." - Rollo May.

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment