Saturday 3 September 2016

What Would Jane Do? (3)

Welcome back for more wisdom from Jane Austen! 

It's rather amazing how we can learn so much from a British author! I'm amazed! 
At her time a female writer wouldn't be consider writing at all, but her father helped the best he could for his bright daughter's success. Without him we wouldn't be here, today, reading her wonderful work! 


III. Mistress of myself
No one can think more highly of the understanding of women than I do... Nature has given them so much that they never find it necessary to use more than half. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
You were disgusted with the women who were always speaking and looking, and thinking for your approbation alone. I roused and interested you because I was so unlike them. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain for the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
You must try not to mind growing up into a pretty woman. - Mansfield Park (1814)
As for admiration, it was always very welcome when it came, but she did not depend on it. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
Her own thoughts and reflections were habitually her best companions. - Mansfield Park (1814)
I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other. - Emma (1815)
Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
There are people who the more you do for them, the less they will do for themselves. - Emma (1815)
It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
If I could not be persuaded into doing what I thought wrong, I will never be tricked into it. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
I have been a selfish being all my life, in practice, though not in principle. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
We all have our best guides within us, if only we would listen. - Mansfield Park (1814)
I speak what appears to me the general opinion; and where an opinion is general, it is usually correct. - Mansfield Park (1814)
There is hardly any personal defect which an agreeable manner might not gradually reconcile one to. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
If I could persuade myself that my manners were perfectly easy and graceful,  I should not be shy. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
Those who have not more must be satisfied with what they have. - Mansfield Park (1814)
I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
Let your conduct be the only harangue. - Mansfield Park (1814)
My being charming... Is not quite enough to induce me to marry; I must find other people charming- one other person at least. - Emma (1815)
Pleased with the preference of one, and offended by the neglect of the other, on the very beginning of our acquaintance, I have courted prepossession and ignorance, and driven reason away... Till this moment I never knew myself. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
I will be calm. I will be mistress of myself. -Sense and Sensibility (1811)
Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint. - Mansfield Park (1814)

Chapter IV will be for everybody, so keep up with me as I read along the little book given to me by my mum. 
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to love one of my favorite authors much more everytime I read her piece of work. 


" There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart. " 

~Bella





No comments:

Post a Comment