Monday 12 June 2017

Take it or leave it...

Have you ever tried to give yourself a good talk? 

If you have tried once before, you'll know how it just does not work. It's terrible to admit, but it is the truth. Giving yourself some words of encouragement doesn't work this easily. 
"Oh, don't cry, not in public. You are all good, no need to cry over something this little."  Or "Don't give up. You are pretty enough to a boyfriend." Or "Remember there's always tomorrow." 
Who are you kidding? Deep down we know we are hurting, we want to give up, we want to believe the words we are telling ourselves. But before you can listen to your own words, you may want to try and listen to other's advice. 
When you have learned it, then, you may found it easier to listen to yourself. Now that said, listening to our own advice is difficult no matter how big or small it is. 
When I first started getting interested in psychology, I learned plenty in self-confidence. Obviously, I never took much of my own advice, but I did end up helping people. Psychology is fascinating in its own particular way, and when I first tried to give myself some words of advice, I heard them but didn't take the effort to listen to them. They were just simple words spoken by me, heard by me. A mistake which still to this day is highly regretful. After a few years, I came up with the "genius" plan... Advice to my future self. It's rather popular and it's quite resourceful. I ended up listening to myself, only a little more than before... 
Here is a couple of advice I came up with which may be useful to you, reader... 

I. Keep dreaming
What's better, dreams or reality? You can be anyone you wish when you dream while the reality is just you. The good news is if you are determined enough, you have the capacity of developing these dreams and make them a reality. 

II. Remember who raised you. 
It's simple to forget and not talk to your parents/family member especially if an argument breaks out, blaming the person close to you... But at the end of the day, who was there for you, raised you? And blood relatives aren't always there for you! I should know. 

III. Anything could happen, any second. 
That's right, we do not know what the future holds. We don't know if we are going to be alive tomorrow or not. So make today count, live like it's your last day. 

IV. It's never too late to apologize
Forgiving is important, but in order to forgive one has to apologize first. Sadly, not many of us found the courage to apologize to the ones who deserve it. If you have the chance to do so, give yourself the opportunity to say, " I'm sorry."  You have no idea how much a simple apology can do to an entire situation, it may impact someone a great deal. 

V. Think of the future, not the past! 
What can you do to change the past? Not much right? But what about the future? If you are thinking about past failures, please do yourself a huge favour and stop right there! I said it, STOP! The past has been written, and cannot be rewritten. The future, on the other hand, is freshly new and it does need some writing so go ahead and begin your journey! Move forward not backward. 

VI. Never stop asking questions
If kids do it, it's for a reason! It may be annoying over time but this is how you get knowledge, curiosity! The beauty of it all is that there is absolutely no age to learn something new and exciting. Learning is essential, it makes you grow as a person. 

VII. Don't compare your life or yourself to someone else's 
We are unique, there is no one exactly like you so why bother comparing yourself to your next door neighbor? Just because they seem to have the perfect doesn't make it true. Live for yourself, live your life and not someone else's. 

VIII. Accept rejection
You won't be liked by everybody and not everyone will agree with your opinion. Rejection is bound to happen at some point, but don't worry you aren't alone going through it. Everyone feels rejection in their life. 

IX. You are not better than everyone else
Who made you better? Who told you, you were inferior to others? What gave you the right to determine this? Well, let me be brutally honest with you! You are just as important as your crazy neighbor, your old high school math teacher, or a homeless person who's addiction to heroin is becoming too much. There's no life more important than the other. Remember we all came from somewhere, we are all human no matter what! 

And the final piece of advice of the day... 

X. Trust that feeling of yours. 
Sounds idiotic when written down, but it's the truth. I listen to my feelings, my guts. It never failed me; when I do not get a good vibe or I don't like a person in a second of seeing them, it's because I get a bad vibe which doesn't make me want to know them. Give your "guts" some credit. 
Advice to future self is useful especially when you look back on the list later on in life. It's never too late to ameliorate yourself; give yourself the opportunity to listen to your own words, voice. 

"Listen to your own voice, your own would, too many people listen to the noise of the world, instead of themselves." 

~Bella 

No comments:

Post a Comment