Friday 17 March 2017

What Would Jane Do? (6)

Do you know how you are when you really like someone? Well, Jane Austen surely did know how to make her characters seem like they really like the man!
Chapter IV. If you really like him

~I suppose there may be a hundred different ways of being in love. - Emma (1815)
~The very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone. - Love and Friendship (1790)
~The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much! - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
~In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature. - Northanger Abbey (1817)
~He is a gentleman, and I am a gentleman's daughter so far we are equal. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~To her own heart is was a delightful affair, to her imagination, it was even a ridiculous one, but to her reason, her judgment, it was completely a puzzle. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
~There are such beings in the world... As the creature, you and I should think perfection... But such a person may not come in your way. - Letters 
~If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy.- Sense and Sensibility (1811)
~To flatter and follow others, without being flattered and followed in turn, is but a state of half enjoyment. - Persuasion (1817)
~No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman only who can make it a torment. -Northanger Abbey (1817)
~How little of permanent happiness could belong to a couple who were only brought together because their passions were stronger than their virtue. -Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~There could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so similar, no feelings so in unison. -Persuasion (1817)
~She was convinced that she could have been happy with him when it was no longer likely they should meet. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope... I have loved none but you. - Persuasion (1817)
~Were I to fall in love, indeed, it would be a different thing, but I have never been in love; it is not my way or my nature, and I do not think I ever shall. - Emma (1815)
~It is my unhappy fate seldom treat people as well as they deserve. - Letters
~This sensation of listlessness, weariness, stupidity, this disinclination to sit down and employ me, this feeling of every. Thing's being dull and insipid about the house! I must be in love; I should be the oddest creature in the world if I were not. - Emma (1815)
~Had I not been bound to silence I could have provided proof enough of a broken heart, even for you. -Sense and Sensibility (1811)
~They parted at last with mutual civility and possibly a mutual desire of never meeting again. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~It would be difficult to say which had seen highest perfection in the other. Or which happiest: she, in receiving his declarations and proposals, or he in having them accepted. - Persuasion (1817)
~I lay it down as a general rule... That if a woman doubts as to whether she should accept a man or not, she certainly ought to refuse him. - Emma (1815)
~When I fall in love, it will be forever. - Sense and Sensibility (1811)
~To love is to burn, to be on fire.- Sense and Sensibility (1811)
~If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it. - Emma (1815)
~Sometimes the last person on earth you want to be with is the one person you can't be without. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. - Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~Marriage is indeed a maneuvering business. - Mansfield Park (1814)
~You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years. -Pride and Prejudice (1813)
~Husbands and wives generally understand when opposition will be vain.-Persuasion (1817)
~I pay very little regard... To what any young person says on the subject of marriage. If they profess a disinclination for it, I only set it down that they have not yet seen the right person.- Mansfield Park (1814)

See you next chapter...

"We are all fools in love."- 

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment