Friday 18 November 2016

What Alice Forgot...

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Let's just start by saying the man who seats across from my work every morning and night, we will call him Peter, came in the store one morning and suggested a novel. He has seen that I always had a pen and notebook on me, always my laptop to type, curiosity rushed in, and he couldn't help but ask if I was also a bookworm... Do I look like one?

So we ended up talking about books, one specifically, the one he was holding in his left hand, the one which looked like it was about to be finished. What Alice Forgot is a novel written by an Australian author, Liane Moriarty. When Peter talked to me about the novel, you can tell he was in admiration towards the author and how she write. The author lives in Sydney Australia with her family, getting her books translated into multiple languages. She is #1 New York Times Bestseller author of books like The Husband's Secret as well as The Hypnotist's Love Story. 

Peter reads a lot, it's obvious, so when he suggested the book, I couldn't help but to buy the novel as well as two others. 

Here is what the back of the novel tells us...

" Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, Nick, and pregnant with their first child. 
So imagine Alice's surprise when she comes to on the floor of the gym (a gym! she HATES the gym!) and is whisked off to the hospital, where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over: She is actually thirty-nine years old, has three kids, and is getting a divorce.
That knock on her head has misplaced ten years. 
Now Alice must piece together the events of the lost decade, and find out if it's possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She needs to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she's become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes. 
Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse- and how to start over..." 

When you read something like that it makes you want to know what happened during these ten years. It makes you want to understand how she became what she is. 
Before reading any book, I read the last paragraph. If I like the ending, if I find it interesting, or if I get curious. So I thought I'd shared the ending with you...

" They would think she was savoring the taste (blueberries, cinnamon, cream- excellent), but she was actually savoring the whole morning, trying to catch it, pin it down, keep it safe before all those precious moments became yet another memory."

It doesn't make much sense we didn't read the book, but it does get you curious! 

"Reading a good book is like taking, a journey..." - Emma Gulliford

~Bella
PS: I'm not going to post anything next week as it is Thanksgiving one week vacation. I will be working and spending time with my brothers whenever I can... But make sure to come back the 28th of November for more posts! Enjoy your time with family! 

1 comment: