Wednesday 16 November 2016

So long...

Have you graduated from High School yet? Well,  I have, a while ago now.

High School, for many of you, is an amazing experience, popularity, sports, clubs, love experiences, thinking of universities... For others, it's a bit different!

My experience wasn't as amazing as most of you, far from good. Many downfalls, revelations, hard moments, insults from other peers, difficult time concentrating during class, family issues were always on my mind keeping me preoccupied most of the time at school...
Indeed, it taught me great lessons like never let anyone make you feel worthless, or stay true to yourself, if someone dislikes you, it doesn't mean you have to change for them! Taught me that people change over time, that you can't trust you own friends because some will turn their backs on you!

It isn't easy, it can be tough, and we all go through this moment in life in different ways...

Some will say that High School is a learning experience, a time to start mature up, start thinking responsibly, and to be a young adult!
When I look back at photos of kids I went to school with in 6th grade and them, now... I'm just like "They have changed! A lot."
High School usually makes people change, but for the ones that don't like me, you get left out. I mature up, but I was already more mature than most kids my age. If you ask people from my past, they won't say "Oh, she changed so much throughout the years! Went through so many phases!"
Indeed, I made certain mistakes (falling in love with the wrong guy did make me think twice about things), but other than that, I'm still the same old me! Since, well, forever...!

Life makes you change, mature up, more experienced, wiser, but the High School stage plays a big deal!


A month ago or so, I was walking down the street when I came across someone I knew from high school. He was a year or two older than me, but his face was rather familiar. Took me good couple minutes to remember correctly. I saw a guy with a cardboard saying "Anything helps", dirty, ripped clothes, and a smile on his face. Seeing someone on the street is already sad, and uncomfortable, to me it's heartbreaking, but seeing someone you knew back in High School years... Being on the street, smiling and not caring about what people say. I didn't even know what to think! The guy is around my age, we went to school together (I remember faces well enough), I had a class with him, I had common friends (mostly one), and seeing him on the street isn't alright! It doesn't feel right. I had to take a step back and time to process it all. It might not seem important, but when you compassionate and want to understand what's going on, it's difficult to see and accept what you saw!
The back story was made clear later on with a friend of mine that used to know him as well. My friend explained the whole situation, and even though it's the guy's fault that he living on the street, it doesn't make it right! It makes me helpless, I want to help out, but from what I hear, the guy doesn't want any help, he got into too many drugs, no rehabs doesn't accept family support. He cut ties with everyone, almost. It's rather depressing!

So when I look back at my High School years, the way that I was treated by many girls my age, it shows that we are living under an unacceptable life! Social media takes over generations, young kids, life is becoming more stressful! I hear 8 years of age kids saying they are stressed! I'm still a 90's kid, but the new generations, right after mine, they are a piece of work! No more respect, no more worries (mum and dad will pay for them anyway), and instead of playing nicely at home with dolls or cars, board games or the first Nintendo, or even watching Disney movies and eating popcorn with friends... They go to the mall with their purses and credit cards. I don't know how many times I served 8 to 13 years old little girls with makeup on and credit cards, thinking they are better than you! And they aren't even in High School yet? What's going on with our world? With our society?


I can say I'm lucky on where I am right now, where I'm standing at the moment.
 I'm currently writing a novel, keeping a blog, working, helping my family... Still no interest in makeup or brushing my hair, not that it needs to be brushed anymore, I could have gone down such a wrong path like that old peer of mine, or ended up being like the rest of the "girls" because with complete honesty, even at 20 or 21, they are still acting like girls instead of women!


To me, High School was the big "deal", made me realize who were true friends, who were enemies, what I wanted to do later on in life, made me stronger each step I took in that school... I've seen old peers, I've heard stories, some are pregnant with no dad around, some work, others never grew up. Some went down on wrong paths, others succeeded at being popular enough in their universities. Thanks to Facebook for the delightful pictures that I want to forget about, don't need to see half of the people I knew  naked or doing knows what...


If High School helped you shape the person you are today, helped you through tough times, see the best in you, then you can be proud of you. If you haven't gone the wrong path or ended up in jail, be proud of yourself. Not many people can be proud of themselves, of what they are doing. I'm seeing so much, and even the ones in universities, half of them don't study, they spend all their time partying or getting arrested. If you are doing something for your future, be proud of yourself!

"After High School, you realize you were only friends with some people because you saw them five times a week." 

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment