Wednesday 21 March 2018

The little things I say...

I hope everyone enjoyed their St. Patrick's Day or Paddy's Day as one can call it. I know, I did, quite enjoyed it as I spent the entire night drinking and laughing with an amazing Irish guy. Drinking Guinness after Guinness, laughing at almost everything, and coming home later than expected. Photos were taken (no recollections of the photos), and well my knee got messed up, welcome to me world... 





Since St. Patrick's Day is over, I shall keep the little Irish still in me to share a few more things... To be more precise, the little things I say...




So let's start by saying...

As a non-American, I do say things that many of my surroundings either don't understand or simply find it bizarre. I blame the Irish side of me a lot, but since I do have friends back in Europe, I pick up on certain saying. Ever since I lived in California, it's been difficult to stop saying a few phrases, words just to be "normal". Whatever "normal" means to Californians... I don't want to say EVERY American don't say the following phrases, cards.

I. Chewing Gum
Gum like Americans say! I say chewing gum, and for everyone else it's odd.

II. Taking a piss or taking the piss
"Are you serious right now?" or "Are you joking?", I personally don't use it as much as I used to, people were too annoyed to even continue. A few of my friends back home still say it when I have them on the phone and trust me... I'll end up saying it right after!

 III. Bollocks
Just another way to say "balls" but we usually say it to say "total bullshit". Go figure, it's obvious that I would say it... I found it funny!

IV. Bugger off
Just another way to say "Fuck off"... In a good, respective way. Whenever I say it, it'll come out when I had a few drinks. But you'll hear an Irish person say "Feck off" a lot more at least from what I've heard from my own experience.

V. Fancy
I've heard a few people say it, but it's rare, very rare. I came across an Irish lass from Dublin at a bar, and she asked me "Do you fancy him?", talking about my friend who was bartending. And my friends from London do say it quite plenty enough to make it stuck in your head for days.

VI. Bob
I first heard my friend from Ireland say it, and even if I was kind of confused, I managed to understand she meant money, cash... Not very common for me to say it, but I used to and people thought I was calling them "Bob". Sad but true...

VII. Fag
Alright, in the States, it seems like we use the word "fag" to describe a person's sexuality being "homosexual", while I heard my friends use it to just say "cigarette". The American English use the word as an insult while we just use it for a cigarette. Good thing I don't smoke and rarely use the word in front of people or else I would get more haters than I already have.

VIII. Wanker
This is actually more common than I thought. Thank you to British people, the word "Wanker" which means fool, is used throughout bars. I heard this word being used by British people around town. And to be fairly honest, I use it on occasion. Like on Paddy's Day, the number of wankers which came out of bars, or get kicked out... I don't know how many times I used "wankers".

To be fairly honest, my English switched off to a more "American" English, and despite, the little things I still use, I have, indeed, lost a lot of my English. The one with "Bloody hell" or "Piss off"...
But... Reading more novels from British, Scottish or Irish writers will eventually make my English back on track!

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language that goes to his heart." - Nelson Mandela

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment