Wednesday 14 March 2018

Tea? You ask...

Not too long ago, in the store I work at, a new book arrived called, "Tea is always good tea".

As a European, I drink lots of tea and that's throughout the day. Despite being Irish as well, I don't add any sugar, nor milk, nor cream. No honey, nothing adding in the tea... You may think I'm insane to drink straight black tea, but I was raised on tea, it's how it's always been.

When I saw the book, I just need to have it!
A short background on what tea is it refers, usually, to the beverage made by steeping the dried leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant in hot water. People usually think of British when talking about tea. Not entirely wrong, British people do drink a lot of tea themselves...

Here are some interesting facts from my little book.

"Loose Leaf:
'Loose leaf' refers to whole or broken tea leaves that do not come in tea bags, requiring you to measure leaves for each brew. Generally, of a higher quality than bag tea, loose-leaf tea calls for steeping tools to separate the leaves post-brew.
Pros:                                                                                               Cons:
-Available in a wide selection of teas                                            - Generally more expensive
-Yields more nuanced flavors and                                                  -Disposing of wet leaves can be
aromas                                                                                             inconvenient and messy
-Allows you to control the ratio of
leaves to water

You can dry high-quality whole leaves after use and re-step them several times.

Tea Bags:
Tea bags contain small, chopped pieces of tea leaves in a packet or sachet. Most tea bags containing black tea have been processed using the mechanical CTC (crush, tear, curl) method.
Pros:                                                                                               Cons: 
- Quick brewing time with strong                                                  - Lower quality of flavor
flavor                                                                                              - Loses freshness quickly
-Simple to store, transport, and                                                      - More likely to become bitter
dispose of the leaves
-Easy to brew one cup at a time

Don't squeeze a tea bag at the end of a brew! This release bitter tannins into the tea." 



I personally use tea bags, easy to brew, fast enough for me when I'm in a rush which is more common than you may think. I have nothing against loose leaves, the only little issue I keep bumping into is the mess as well as taking longer to make by a few minutes.

"Storage:
Tips for quality and longevity

KEEP IT DRY AND SEALED
To preserve flavor and aroma, store your tea in an airtight container. Be wary of storing fragrant items nearby, as they might taint a tea's aroma.

KEEP IT DARK
Tea leaves are sensitive to light, so store them in dark containers. If using glass jars, store them in a dark cupboard. 

KEEP IT COOL
Heat can damage a tea's flavor and aroma. Store your tea leaves at room temperature- or slightly cooler."

My tea isn't kept in a special storage, to be honest, I don't have much space to put them, too much of it, so I keep the bags inside their boxes in my cabinet. Dark and cool enough to keep everything under control. Now, when I think of my future place, my little comfort home, I will have jars full of either loose tea or bags. Cause being Irish isn't always about drinking Guinness... Tea is also very important. 

"OCCASIONS FOR TEA

Wake up:
The caffeine in tea makes it an ideal morning beverage.
Relax: 
A soothing cup of tea is the perfect way to warm up and wind down.
Celebrate:
Toast to good news and milestones with a tasty symbolic tea.
Connect:
Slow down the pace of life and take time to share the experience with others.
Cure:
Enjoy the medicinal properties of various teas and tisanes.
Respect:
Show reverence to current and pas culture and traditions. "

I usually drink tea to either get warm on a cold rainy day or simply because I want to drink tea. The only occasion I would consider drinking tea as an "occasion" would be when I'm having breakfast with mum, then tea is required! Not so much of an occasion, mostly a requirement, plus the place we usually go to, knows what we order, and they know our teas! She has to be more the English Breakfast tea, while I'm more the Earl Grey person or simply my Irish tea when there's some, which is rarely. 

For some people, tea is considered beneficial, healthy, and a "snobby" enough drink. Tea time is for everyone, not just the rich! So if you are a fan of tea, or you enjoy a simple cup of tea, this book is for you! I certainly am learning a lot about different teas, so I thought I would write another post about different teas and their benefits. 



"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis

~Bella






1 comment:

  1. It's a nice article. Everyone should read. Thanks for sharing. For more amazing information you may get from this link Sorting Tea

    ReplyDelete