Monday 3 July 2017

You don't go? Really? 

If you are new on here, you don't know about my situations my school situation. Many of you are probably thinking, " She looks like she's university age."

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't go to school anymore, at least not since I graduated from high school a few years ago. Yes, I'm still in the university age, and yet, I don't go! Should I be judged for it?

After high school, I planned on taking a year off, a year to give me time to think about my future, think about the subject which would lead to my future career and well... To have a break from school.
Before I start explaining a few things you have to know that school isn't for me. No, I don't mean like I'm smarter than everyone and I do not need school. I mean, I cannot stand being at school.

Back in high school, I couldn't concentrate enough to listen to any teachers except maybe one. I would either listen to music or fall asleep in the back of the classroom. Sounds pathetic now that I'm looking back to my high school years, but I wasn't interested in anything except history. And sadly, I couldn't just take history classes. So after two years in Santa Barbara High School, I decided to go into homeschooling with the Olive Grove program. I do not recommend it if you aren't independent and love to teach yourself, read textbooks. For me it was perfect. I was managing my time quite well, reading nonstop, taking notes and I got to choose multiple classes despite the obvious ones. I got to get psychology, criminology, criminal justice, law, art classes... And the list is long as I took multiple psychology classes as well as criminology ones. Alright, it felt like I was in university but yet it was different cause I was home, I was doing everything on my own terms, no teachers.

You are probably wondering why I didn't continue my education and doing what everyone else was doing. But have you ever asked yourself why people didn't go to college or universities? Because you may end up getting a few surprises.
Alright, some won't go because of reasons, but other cannot go at all because they have specific reasons, or some won't go because they are too lazy and think it's a waste of time.

Don't get me wrong, if I really wanted to go I would go, but again, I dislike being like everyone else. Being the outsider suits me well...

I do have reasons though...

First, I hate going to school, sit in a classroom with over twenty people, being around strangers for over an hour and a half, listening to teachers who don't even like their job anymore. 

Second, financially, you need to be capable of supporting yourself and pay for school. I'm European and back home, school is highly different, it's free education while in America it cost double what you got in your bank account. And please don't state City College, it might be cheaper but it is still costly. 

Third, priorities, yes, I have them and no, they aren't about me. I don't think much about myself, and it is wrong. Some of these priorities are keeping me from going. Can't just ignore the family for my education. I guess I'm more family orientated than anything else. 
The fourth reason is the fact that I'm still unsure what I want to end up doing career-wise as well as where I want to go in a few years. I ain't planning on staying in California anymore. I think I got tired of living here, well, surviving. Santa Barbara is getting too small for me, plus I prefer cloudy sky, gloomy days instead of nonstop sunshine. East coast sounds better... Closer to Europe, and to be honest, I could end up staying in California, who knows, I may end up falling in love with a man who wants to stay in California. 

My reasons may seem idiotic for certain people, but to me, with my anxiety, they are good enough reasons. I do not need you to agree with me. I just need you to try to understand why someone wouldn't want to go to college. 
I'm not saying I would never go. Never say never. For now, I don't believe you need a diploma to do what you love, passionate about. A piece of paper doesn't show how intelligent you are. Some people cannot take tests but it doesn't prove they are less intelligent than the person next to them. Am I that idiotic, unintelligent? Last time I checked I was smart enough to hold a serious conversation with an older person. 

So why judge a person for not going to school, for preferring to take care of more important matters, for taking their time on choosing their future. Saving up money before using it on education. 
Stop making references and conclusions. You never know someone unless you try to comprehend them. 

"By not going to school I learned that the world is a beautiful place and needs to be discovered. " -Rutger Hauer 

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment