Wednesday 18 April 2018

Feckin'...

Let's just start saying, I was unaware of what my dear friend from Europe, has sent me over mail.
I didn't expect anything either so when I arrived home from work, late at night, the package came in as a surprise. 

Now, my friends know how much I adore my books, and if they do come across an interesting one, they will get it for me one way or another. Sadly, they do not live in the States, and despite the fact that we still in contact with each other, it is difficult at times. So when I saw the package, I got beyond excited, more than usual. 

First, my love of books cannot be described, and when I saw what was in the package, I flipped out. Second, I wasn't expecting what I saw... A little book of Irish slang. Not sure why they ended up sending me such a book, but I couldn't hold a laugh or two. 

As you may expect, I started reading the little book, which ended up making me laugh my ass off. 
 I came across some funny and unexpected terms which I personally never heard of or some that Americans do not use at all.

Bowsie, noun, a person (esp. male) of very disreputable character. A useless good-for-nothing. 
" Is there anyone I could personally date who isn't a bowsie?"

Craic, noun, pronounced crack,  fun. 
"I had such a craic on Paddy's Day. 
(Funny note is the fact that there was indeed some misunderstanding between foreigners who were trying to buy illegal drugs. You have to be careful about where you are going and what your words or phrases mean.)

Eejit, noun, a person of limited mental capacity. A fool of a sort. A complete moron, imbecile. 

Feck, verb or/ and noun, the politically correct term of f**k. 
" Feck off with your ideas, they aren't worth it." 
To be honest, it's rare that I say it, but it does come up more often now...

Knackered, adjective, very tired. Broken beyond repair.

Nixer, noun, Job done on the side for cash, thus avoiding tax.
"Tell you what, I'll write your next Budget speech as a nixer, Minister."

Manky, adjective, disgustingly filthy.
Anything from public toilet, waterway.

Ossified, adjective, totally inebriated.
"Do you know it takes just three pints to get an Englishman ossified?"

Plastered, adjective, very drunk.
"My friend was so plastered that he kept calling me babe."

Scratcher, noun, bed.
"Get off the scratcher, you have school in twenty minutes, you don't want to be late."

Up the pole, expression, with child, pregnant.
"My sister is up the pole and Ma is a bit worried."

The other words or phrases weren't worth writing down on this post, but if you want to go check out the little book, I believe you can find it online, Amazon. 

So now that I shared a few expression, you have to leave me alone when I do say some "odd" things... 
No need to judge how someone talks or anything...

"You know when 100% Irish when... You've no idea how to make a long story short."

~Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment